Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Oasis to Iowa


Well I slept a little better last night. No train. Around nine last night I got a hold of a recording of the train in fairbury and played it into the mega phone. I think a few people were starting to panic. 
Here's Eric holding the moon on a stick last night. The weather forecast called for thunder showers last night. That being the case most people slept indoors last night. Well at 5am I woke up to a blast of wind shaking my tent. It was just a short blast and it stopped. So I went back to sleep. 530 am and I woke up to some more shaking. This Time I looked out and the sky was red. A cold front was moving in. Dark clouds were coming fast. I got up and packed up in record time. 
We got everyone outside packed up and the gear all in the trailer just before it started to rain. We ate breakfast and waited for it to clear a bit. 8 am we headed out. It rained for about the first 20 miles. The wind was not as big a factor as we thought it was going to be. Of course it was a stiff cross wind for quite a way but that works. 
Well once the rain let up it was back to business. 115 km went by pretty fast. 
The later sag stops were busy. 
We stopped at the Lewis and Clark  long boat and visitors centre. We then proceeded to cross the Missouri River 
Well when we reached the other side. You guessed it. We were in Iowa. 
The view in this part of Iowa kinda reminds me of the marsh. Flat as a pancake with hills around the outside. It felt like a bit of home. 
This is a shot if Harold behind me through the flat section. He lead most of the way today so this was a bit of a uncommon sight today. 
Once we got into the waubonsie state park, we found this lookout. I felt like I was over looking the marsh. Well I'm on sweep tonight and I'm not sure how good my reception is so ill try to get this blog out today   Thanks for reading Len 
Alright I forgot the bonus pic yesterday so here's one 
This is a local paper that wrote an article about seatosea. I'm the one with the blue helmet. 

1 comment:

  1. So when we drive around the eastern US and cross a state line there is usually a welcome center beyond the sign. Some better than others but there is always something. Is the Sea to Sea Tour off the beaten track crossing state lines or are they just less focused on tourism out there? If you want see an alternate "Marsh" go vist Lemington - it will feel like home but different... Anyway keep on cycling Len!

    ReplyDelete