Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Limon to Big Mac

Actually it's Limon to Burlington. It was a cold start to the day.  Last night it went down to 50 deg F   I slept in a little this morning. The guys were throwing rocks at my tent. The tent was a little wet so the longer it stayed up the drier it got. 
Before we left the camp we had to talk to  a state patrolman. Thus was because we were driving on the interstate today. They also told us that because we had more than 50 people it was an event. So. Big deal you say. Well in Colorado an event means a 700$ charge. Nice eh. Take another road you say. That was not so easy because all the other roads were gravel. 
It was the day of the long and winding road. Stop singing. It was just long, no winding. How ever it was windy. Mostly from the front and side.
Corn and wheat as far as the eye could see. 
Now I know what they mean when they say a country mile. 
You look ahead and see a town coming and it still takes a half an hour to get there.  Today was Andy from Mayberry day. You know Barney fife. That last about half the day. Then once we were off the interstate the wind really picked up and  it was down to business to get in. 
Along the way the scenery was pretty much the same, fields that went on as far as the eye could    see. This car was at the i70 diner. I think it's a pink caddy. I'm going to shower now so ill be back in a bit. Stay right there. 
Ok I'm back. The wind was so strong in the afternoon that we had to ride in a chevron to give the riders behind the benefit of wind protection. Harold was struggling for the last 20 km so we pulled him in. That can happen to anyone and its a good reason to ride with a team. You never know witch day will not be your best day. 
Here's a pic of a cactus along the side of the road. 
We stopped at some horses that were grazing along the side of the road. Funny thing I was riding along today and the clouds reminded me of the opening from the Simpsons. Not that I watch that show. Actually I don't. 
We got to feed the horses some grass. It was a nice little break. The problem with stopping is that it takes a few miles to get your legs going again. 
We went through a few small towns that concist of a few grain elevators and buildings that used to be motels, gas stations and resterants. Kinda strange to see everything closed down like that. 
Well we made it to the town of McDonalds. Oops I mean Burlington. 
We stopped at mcds and then came to camp to set up tents. No rain today but the wind is pretty strong. Off to make my bed now that the tent has dried off. It's was damp inside and out. Well thanks for listening again today and well talk to you tommorow   Len 
Oh here's a bonus pic 
This is what happens when you catch some good speed down hills. This was from a few days ago. Guess how many vents I have in my helmet. 
 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Len, Enjoy your blog very much. Look for it each day. You have the human touch as though you are just talking with us. Safe riding and keep well. Corrie van der Kuur (George's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vent picture made me laugh out loud :) I count 7 vents. I had coffee with Carrie and the girls this morning, had fun listening to some of her stories....It was nice to see her, I agree with Corrie, I feel as though you are talking and sharing this experience with all of us. Praying for all of the riders and volunteers for continued strength and good health!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you don't get too bored with the long, straight and flat! I remember driving to Winnepeg from Brandon and Winnepeg looked 30 minutes away from about 3 hours away. We're praying for the safety of you and the entire Sea to Sea team. Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. ride like the wind ! "Len in tights"

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Len! I howled at that picture!

    ReplyDelete