Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Blown away


So we left Burlington Colorado today
I got up a little late today but that's ok because I was still waiting for the others. It's nice to have a tent that only takes a minute to take down. 
I saw these cool steel bike sculptures next to the pool in Burlington. I also saw a good use for a John Deere tractor. 
I think dogs and birds use it. Just kidding. Well not really. Fine I'm just kidding. 
This morning people seemed to be a bit anxious. Everyone was up early and raring to get going. I think the wind we struggled through yesterday was the reason for the stress.  I guess people figured the wind won't be as bad earlier in the morning. 
Well today we were heading to  Kolby Kansas. We traveled 110 km today. The wind was pretty much at our side today. That's our right side because we're heading east. Ok so your asking how hard could the wind blow. In Colorado the say it blows so bad because Kansas sucks.  Just what you'd expect neighbouring states to say. The town motto for Burlington is , (come here and we'll blow you away).
We pedalled on a road right next to the interstate. Under the bridge you could see the fields on the side. 
The sky was clear and you could see fields of corn and wheat as far as  the eye can see. 
   
This shows a little of the wind. It's a hard thing to see in person let alone in real life. 
This was the town of kanarado. 
It's where we crossed into Kansas from Colorado. I would have taken a pic Of the welcome sign but their wasn't one. I'm not sure if that means were not welcome. It wasn't much of a town. It's flat out here, and dry. The only stuff that grows is stuff that is irrigated. That's done two ways. Big pivots that make crop circles or sub soil irrigation.
I saw a bunch of wagons with big ammonia tanks on them. I'm thinking some kind of weed or bug control. 
The sky got dark and I thought for sure we were going to get rained on. The rain held off though. It was a bit of a lonely ride today , with not a lot of towns to ride through, and even the ones we did ride through were small and empty. That being said I drove past this:)
It's a copy of Vincent Van Gogh. It's 80 feet tall
 This should explain it. Kinda cool. 
This pic sums up today. You can see why this place was a dust bowl during the depression when people walked away from plowed fields. The wind gets a hold of the soil and away it goes. Well we made it into town and got the tent set up.  
So I'm off the mcdees to write and download my blog. What a great excuse eh. Boy oh boy it was about three miles into the wind up hill. No not both ways. Although it might be, I haven't gone back yet. Not sure what tommorow will bring but it will come, ready or not. 
Len 
Today's bonus pic is for you John Deere lovers. I think I had to after that Deere in the park remark. Mmm that rhymes. 
That's two for the price of one. I almost forgot. I bet you were thinking Carrie underwood blown away when you saw today's title. Well if you weren't you are now. 

2 comments:

  1. OH Len, your the best...you keep us up to date and amused at the same time! Love your pics and blog. Amazing, that they still are able to grow anything with all the wind!, It looks nice and green where the tents are set up? Stay safe, and glad to hear you made it to camp in one piece. Love from us all here in the marsh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that soon the wind will be at your back! It was good to see Carrie yesterday, heard a lot of great stories. God bless, and thanks for all the updates. I look forward to reading each one!

    ReplyDelete