Thursday, August 31, 2017

Day 67. What's next.

So this is what it feels like to be finished the ride. 
It's hard to hide the emotions. I don't think we should try and hide them. I think we should own them. God's plan for us is more than we can ask or imagine. One way I see this is by comparing the two seatosea rides I did. In 2013 I believe God used me to help others in there struggles by being a sounding board and a friend. I didn't see it back then as much as I see it now. We seem to think we're writing our own stories but it's God who writes our story. The sooner we realize it the better off we are. The more we will see Him at work in our lives. 
This time around 2017 with thanks to my wife I feel like I've been more intentional about making and nurturing relationships. At first I thought I would do all the giving but I now realize I have received far more then I have given. 
Coming into the ride you always have concerns and a preconceived notion of how things are going to go. I thought I had it all planned out. I forgot that God had it all planned out and I was just along for the ride. I rekindled some old relationships that felt just as comfortable as when I last enjoyed them. Made some new friends too.  God put all of them in my path. Harold the rock. Ian the brother I never knew I had. And Reuben the spark plug baby brother. Ian and I had never ridden  together before this ride but soon on found each other and joked our way to Winnipeg. He was patient with me as I rode myself into shape. He slowed down and I sped up. Reuben and I also never rode together. Paul and Rueben rode with us for a while into Calgary. I think it was Paul's plan but if not definently the Lords plan. After the weekend in Calgary Paul left for home and we left last like usual. About 40 km into the ride we came upon a cold wet Reuben fixing his tire in the rain telling people he was ok. That little voice said your stopping. So we stopped and fixed his tire. From that point on we were riding buddies. 
Harold had to leave to take care of a congregation morning the death of a young mother. I believe God even prepared him for that through the different conversations that he had with different folks the day before he left.   
I see Gods hand through so many things as I look back on the ride. Conversations I had with lots of people helped me work through some things I'm dealing with. I'm hoping that I may have helped others as well. Was it all perfect and roses. No like usual I made mistakes and I said things I shouldn't have. But isn't that normal. Don't we all fall short. I think this happens when we get out of step with the spirit. The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control. I like to call a lot of these characteristics my virtual elbow. If I feel the virtual elbow just before I say something I'm probably not displaying the spirits fruit. 
So what now. I guess we just keep following the spirits leading and continue to do what the Lord leads us to. 
It would be nice to know exactly what it is but we trust whatever it is Gods plan for us is more than we could ask or imagine. So that's pretty cool. 

This how we should be looking when we're looking to the future God has in store for us. Len. 

5 comments:

  1. Len, as always, your humble wisdom is spot on and such an encouragement. Best of luck with re-entry into real life; I remember that being so much harder than I expected. And thank you again for the blogging this summer; it was appreciated more than you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a nice surprise to see more blogs to read ..loving it and as usual you keep inspiring with your honest ways

    ReplyDelete
  3. Len and Carrie,
    Kari and I enjoyed following along with you on your journey across the country! As someone who has known you for 45 years (!!) it was easy for me to feel like your blog posts were conversations with me ... just shooting the breeze like you always do :) It makes me smile to know that others have come to know the both of you and how big your hearts are for service. God has used you both in meaningful ways and I know He will continue to do so... love you both!!
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Len we all fall short and then your at a campfire with Brian Murray at Killbear playing the guitar... singing Allehua all is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Len and Sea to Sea cyclists ! Praise the Lord for your heart of service and how God is using you as you also do what you enjoy doing :) Have so enjoyed following you across our great land...having done 4 years with Bike for Bibles...the last year our first 2 week rides.....blessing to you for the future and thank you for your commitment to share your journey with us all :)

    ReplyDelete