Monday, July 25, 2016

Ragbrai day 1


Day one started after a hot night where the temperature barely went below 90 degrees. 6 am and the place was clearing out. I watched most of the seatosea group leave but with my knee being a little iffy I was ok with that. Started out very tentatively. The pace to start was very slow but that was ok with me. This was the reason why. 
It was wall to wall people. Not something I was used to. Training alone in the middle of nowhere to riding in the middle of thousands. It was a good way to force me to take it easy. I just rode and tried to take it all in. Last night terry said our mission for the week was to witness. Not something most of us are real comfortable with. As we were riding I had people ask me what seatosea was all about. So just wearing a shirt was enough. I got the opportunity to tell people about the great work seatosea is doing. 
The classic selfy shows the amount of people. 
Quite the lineup of people behind and in front of me. As we got to the first town we had to get off our bikes and walk for 1/2 a mile. That was a first. 
Malvern was happy to have us and had plenty for us to do. I saw an old truck and was pulled in like a tractor beam. 
I have to say the slower pace to today was a refreshing change. I met up with Joanne and Wayne in the town and we road the rest of the way together. 
In the town of tabor I talked to a guy about these old trucks  and cars  they built cages around and used them in a type of 3 on 3 soccer game. 
That was fun. 
Pushing this ball around with these cars would be fun. We met Carrie and terry in the town. 
We continued on to the next town and passed an old ice cream maker. People seem to be having too much Fun. It's been an interesting day to learn how to relax and enjoy the ride. 
Things started to space out after 3/4 of the ride was done. The last ride into town was enjoyable. 
After showers Carrie and I went to town and enjoyed some food just before it started to rain. 
Back at camp now enjoying the evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment