Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sweep hot sweep hotter

Sorry for missing a day , well actually your going to get two days today, 2&3. Yesterday (2) we left from Redlands university this morning and my riding partner Stan was on sweep. What that means is the group of riders help out with supper clean up, and the next morning you  help with breakfast . That's the easy stuff. Sweep is also a group of riders that load the tents and bags into the tractor trailer, still an easy job. So you ask me what's the hard part then. Well I'm glad you asked. After loading the the truck your job is to leave last and sweep the riders in. Still doesn't sound like a big deal except for the fact you have to stick with all the slow riders, help fix flats and sweep them in. Now that the logistics are taken care of on to the day. It started out with a climb witch was like nothing I had done before. Long and winding road ,(why do I feel like singing)? Now that still wasn't the toughest part. Stopping to help fix flats, stopping to encourage people, stopping to wait while people get reenergized. What it does is makes a 5 hr trip into a 8 hr trip. Through the whole group there was over 20 flats. The day before 3.  Tough day, I came to camp wiped out. Oh ya the terrain changed to dessert over 100 dgrs f for all you metric people just google it. The pic at the top is some people trying to cool down to beat the heat. The train we followed down the valley.  Day (3) this morning was hot,hot,hot , hot hot, was that enough hots? We had breakfast at 5 am and people went on the road to try and beat the heat. A lot of people made it in to the next camp between 10- 12am . We started  out going through some farm country. Grapes , oranges , grapefruit, some kind of nuts on palm trees. After that we went through a canyon . Really awesome scenery .as you can see by the top pic I was really suffering today. Oh ya I forgot to tell you I was on the sweep team again today. I know I'm an idiot.the heat in the valley was so bad that I suffered and almost didn't make the climb through the valley. At the 40km mark I was at the sag stop in the valley and we had to wait for people to get going so I got real hot . A 20 km up hill hike to that point was tough but after sitting around waiting for people to leave I got even hotter. By the time I did another 20km climb out of the valley I just made it to the next sag stop.just so happened Carrie was there. They saw me and knew I needed help. Terry got a cooler with ice water and I put my feet in and took off my shirt and dunked it in. During the tour they tell you to look for God. Well let me tell you after the treatment I received I was total revived and ready to go. Without that I would have been done. Puttering away we chased the rest of the people in and arrived at 2 pm.  I'm glad this day is over , 50 degress today , that's hot.  Just finished supper , I think I'm going to crash for a bit. Early start tommorow , thanks for all your prayers . Don't  stop! It really is felt. Thanks Len 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Uncle Len!!
    It's Em :) and my mom...I have to teach her how to post a comment - I'll get her a google account!
    We read it together, so glad you made it through today and especially the heat - and glad you saw God today through it all!!
    Will keep praying! Praying it cools down soon!
    Continue to enjoy the scenery & soak it all in. Love the pictures, and the posts!
    Will check in soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you made it through today. Praying for a "quick" ride tomorrow - maybe skip the sweep team ;). Kaylen wore her Sea to Sea shirt today cause Opa was biking :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear things are going well for you so far. I think one of those flats you helped change may have belonged to my colleague from Woodland. Blessings on the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Len - keep on going! We prayed for you in the Council meeting tonight. Oh by the way since you weren't there we thought you would like to be council clerk this year! Just kidding. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi uncle Len this is Sarah, what you are doing is very impressive I'm very proud of you, keep it up. But please be careful the son seems to be really hot.
    Hey it's Christina, way to go Uncle Len I am proud of you, hope tomorrow isn't as hot. Hi, it's me Mom, great to read your reports, I can commiserate with you about heat, grrrm I am getting the Jamaica kind, but I don't have to bike in it, be well doll, stay strong, praying for all you biker, but also the supporters, be strong Carrie, love you two, and am amazed at your commitment.


    ReplyDelete
  6. Ed and I are praying for you and having driven through that part of California we are sweating just reading your posts. May God continue to bless and keep you all safe as you peddle to His Glory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for y'all. We got to celebrate Andrew's birthday at council. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete